Monday, April 22, 2013

My True Boss!





Who do I work for anyway? This question has taken root in the forefront of my mind. I have to constantly remind myself of the fact that I do not work for anyone here on earth; not my husband, my children, or anyone else. My growing up years were years of wanting to please my parents, make them proud. I think that is a normal aspect of childhood, though I tend to take the people pleasing to new heights! And so it spilled right over into my marriage. For some reason, I always fall into the habit of wanting to seek my husband's approval. I often find myself disappointed when he doesn't have the reaction to things that I had hoped for. My expectations of how he will react to something rise without my even noticing. Those expectations blindside me every time he fails to have the reaction I had hoped for. (Of course I never let him in on what I was hoping for!) Whether it's a new project, something I have been teaching the kids in school, or how many things I have accomplished in a very busy day, I constantly look to him for approval or a pat on the back. He has even told me many times over, "I'm not your boss. You don't work for me." He is right. I work for God. But it's so easy to forget that because, though God is truly always with us, He is not tangibly here to tell me how He thinks I am doing. He can't give me His feedback. Those are the times I need to seek His Word to remind myself of His love.

 However in the day to day busyness I fall into the trap over and over again of seeking my husband's approval. Even the approval of others. This leads me nowhere but feeling disappointed. It's also exhausting because you cannot possibly please everyone here on earth. It can be maddening to try. If 1 Corinthians 3:19  tells me, "For the wisdom of the world is foolishness in God's sight." Then why would I live to please anyone in this world? To live up to anyones expectations? Only God's opinion of me matters. 

 A couple of years ago during a homeschool conference I attended, one of the speakers encouraged us to remember that we work for God. And we should offer it all up to Him every day. She said to always say, "All for you Lord. All for you." When I remember to say this in the midst of my frustration that no one notices what I am doing, it does help. I just need to remember to say it and believe it!

A few verses from Scripture to encourage us in living to please God alone....


 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for The Lord rather than for men, knowing that from The Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is The Lord Christ whom you serve. 
Colossians 3:23-24


How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?  John 5:44



So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.1 Corinthians 10:31




 ...Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.
1 Thessalonians 2:4


 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.  Galatians 1:10


 Don't put your trust in mere humans. They are as frail as breath... Isaiah 2:22


...Always give yourselves fully to the work of The Lord, because you know that your labor in The Lord is not in vain.  1 Corinthians 15:58


...the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:8-9


By God's Grace may we remember to offer up our daily tasks as a prayer to Him, saying, All for you Lord. All for you. 

God bless,
Jen


2 comments:

  1. You are inspired, Jen!
    I will say, however, that your charming husband can bring the affirmation of Christ, Jesus to you. He can serve God by affirming your work, just as you can choose to be the presence of the Lord for him in his life. Needing encouragement is not the same as seeking glory. Glory is fleeting, but encouragement and affirmation builds the spirit. It isn't unusual to need a pat on the back or word of praise for an accomplishment, and God knows this.

    One of the things I most enjoy in life is sharing specific affirmations with others. Last night I thanked the Archbishop! Hahaha! I'm sure he felt good that I thanked him for a specific service he is providing for the Baltimore Archdiocese. But the most important affirmations are those that we give our family members. God sees and knows our hearts and I know he admires the beauty of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you so much! I love this! Thank you for the perspective here. All very true thoughts. I truly appreciate them. And thank you for your kind words.
    God bless~
    Jen

    ReplyDelete